Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Short Adventures


Outcome (Breakers 0,5) by Edward W. Robertson

Blurb: Ellie Colson is the only one who believes in the end of the world.

As an agent of the Department of Advance Analysis, she's one of a handful of people who knows about the spread of a new virus--one she believes will wipe out mankind. With her bosses in denial, she flies to New York to get her ex-fiance Chip to safety.

But he's already been scooped up and quarantined--and so has his adopted daughter. Pursued by her own agency, Ellie will stop at nothing to break Chip out before the virus claims them all.


My Thoughts: This short story was scary to read, to tell you the truth. The world is going to end, but not by a meteor hitting Earth, or nuclear bomb going off, or zombies… Nope. This is a virus, and it’s spreading fast. This short story gave me goose bumps because it shows the ugly side of humanity (or lack thereof) when the crisis hits. Ellie wants to protect her ex-fiance, but several times, she is close to ditching him because he needs to find his step-daughter.

What scared me the most were the things Ellie and Chips stumbled over when trying to locate Dee. They were disturbing, my heart tore at the things that the author described. It was brilliantly written, scared the crap out of me, saddened me, tore at my heart and the ending was…

This short story was enough to show me exactly how good a writer Mr. Robertson is, and I downloaded the first book in the Breakers series; Breakers.
Find Edward W. Robertson here:
Goodreads ~ Website
 

Sea God’s Siren by Tessa Stockton

Blurb:  An accident left Syrena blind and only the sea god Dagon can bring her healing. But the cost of abiding in his aquatic prison in exchange for sight proves more than she bargained for.

My Thoughts: I liked this story, although the plot is an old used one; evil mother, rebellion from the son, love between two different people, the battle in the end… It was well written, and I fell into the story. It did feel longer than the 86 pages it claimed to be. And truly, who doesn’t like mermaids/mermen?

 Find Tessa here:
Goodreads ~ website ~ Facebook

Patagonia by Rue Volley & Madison Daniel

Blurb: Meet Paige, a girl who would love to just live a normal life, but after a hellish invasion of earth by enemies not yet seen, she finds herself thrown into survival mode. She will have to battle to maintain some sort of humanity.

Fighting for lifegiving water as the earth dies all around her she encounters a stranger, a boy by the name of Fin, who will show her things she never imagined possible.

My Thoughts: I had a little trouble with understanding this story in the beginning, but when I got further into it, I was hooked. You can’t tell that it’s written by two different authors, it is brilliant made.

The story was different, the twist when delivered made me gaping at the book, because I did NOT see that one coming. The ending was a bit of a cliffhanger, and I want to know what happens next. Definitely going to keep my eyes out for the sequel. In the meantime, I can use Rue Volley’s re-released Blood and Light Series to tie me over ;-)
Find Rue Volley here:
Goodreads ~ website ~ Facebook

Find Madison Daniel here:
Goodreads ~ website ~ Facebook

 

To Capture a Highlander’s Heart by Teresa J. Reasor

Blurb: Tired of loving Gabriel Campbell from afar, shy lady’s maid, Grace MacNab announces her interest by showing him what she has to offer--her heart.

Taken unaware, Gabriel dismisses her feelings as a temporary infatuation.

Can Grace make him see the woman she is--and win his love? Or will he hold on to past perceptions and deny the passion between them.

My Thoughts: This is a very short read, only 13 pages or so, but the writing truly captured me (no pun intended).  Teresa caught me with her writing style, and my heart was cheering for the young lass, Grace, to be successful. She also made me giggle like a little schoolgirl.

 If you want to try and see if Teresa’s work might be something for you, pick To Capture a Highlander up, it’s free at the moment. I know I’m going to read more by Teresa. :-)
Find Teresa J. Reasor here:
Goodreads ~ website ~ Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment