Sunday, October 27, 2013

Book Review: Dark Seraphine by Kasonndra Leigh


 
Blurb: "Mom always says the angels walk among us. She forgot to tell me that sometimes they're not all fluffy and nice."

Seventeen-year-old Caleb Wood has seen people he calls the walkers since he was a baby. It didn't take long for him to realize something…no one can see these strangers but him. They never stuck around or tried to touch him. And they never said a word. That was until one day on the first day of class in his senior year when an incredibly gorgeous girl strolls into his life…and things are never the same again.

Soon Caleb realizes he has stepped into the middle of a growing conflict between two ancient groups. And his ability to see the invisible ones, the half-breeds that want to modify the human race, just might be the only hope both he and the mysterious, but infuriating, Gia, have of making it out alive.

My Thoughts: I liked Dark Seraphine, although I have to say, I had to read a while first before it really got to me. The beginning wasn’t what I expected, and I got a bit tired of the internal dialogue Caleb kept going around Erica and Gia. But setting that dialogue aside (he IS a teenager after all), and the beginning, the book was really good, and I got caught up in everything that happened. And no… not telling you. Read the book for yourselves and we can have a chat afterwards. :-)

Things I really liked about Dark Seraphine; Gia is a girl, who can hold her own. She isn’t a damsel in distress, but a fighter. Doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a softer side, but it is a nice touch that we have a heroine who can stand on her own two feet.

The supernatural twist to the story. I won’t divulge what it is here since I try to make non - spoilerish reviews, but it is certainly one that I didn’t see coming.  Nice touch Kasonndra!

The fight scenes. They’re filled with magic, despair and determination. My heart was in my throat every time. Cross my heart.

The love. Yeah, I know, it is a tale as old as time, but I’m a sucker for a good love story, and have always been. So sue me. I believe in true love.

All in all, Dark Seraphine was a good book, and I certainly want to know what happens next. Looking forward to the sequel.
About Kasonndra:
I live in the City of Alchemy and Medicine, North Carolina. I write about people doing fantastical things in magical worlds. Sometimes they fall for each other and make sacrifices for their friends. Oh, and sometimes they love music and nature too. I live with my two sons,a guinea pig, a cat, and two dogs. Now that I have completed my MFA in creative writing, I find that I have a little extra time to play CLUE more often. I live in an L-shaped house dedicated to my grandmother. It has a secret library complete with fairies, venetian plastered walls, and a desk made out of clear blue glass.
Find Kasonndra here:

No comments:

Post a Comment