Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Author Take Over: Julieanne Lynch - Guest Post


Please welcome back the wonderful and sweet Julieanne Lynch!! She's here today to tell you about how her day as a writer looks like. Have fun and remember to swing by her pages and give her a hug!




                                                     A Day in the Life of a Writer

 


I’ve been asked many times over the years about what I do for inspiration, what kind of music I listen to when I write and more often than not, how I write when I have such a busy household. Yet no one has really asked me about what I actually do in those days when I am locked away in my office.



Well, today I shall let you into my world.



My day usually starts around 6am. The human alarm clock that is my son Rory insists on the whole household being awake and bursting with as much enthusiasm as he is, and begrudgingly I indulge him with my kindle and the routine of getting 5 children, up, fed, washed and out the door begins. And let me tell you, it’s no easy feat.



9.10am comes, and it’s just Poppy and I – but again, that’s a whole other story.



Coffee tends to me beverage of choice first thing in the morning. It gets the cogs turning and helps mute the zombie that likes to live inside my brain. Breakfast is a hit and miss with me. Some days I eat; other’s I nibble.



Then the computer is turned on, files are opened and I begin my day.



I tend to check out all my social utilities first- Facebook, Twitter, emails and catch up with my PA Kinzie. We like to schedule our work on a Monday and then play catch up during the week. Which leaves me with plenty of time to write, with the odd bit of procrastination thrown in.



Once my morning jog with social networking is over, it’s nap time for Poppy, which leaves me with a good two hours of peace to work in. So from around midday to 2pm, it’s all me and my work and I can accomplish a lot in those two hours.



When I am writing a book, I try to set myself goals to reach at the end of each day – some I obtain, other’s I fail miserably at, but in the long run I make sure I hit at least 3,000 words a day.



Before I was signed by my agent, another agent ‘friend’ of mine insisted that I got into the habit of setting myself a word goal, and she was right. 3k a day is an acceptable word count, so if I am hovering around the 2,900 mark, I don’t be too hard on myself.



2pm comes quick for me, and the first child is home from school and it is homework duty, then playtime and treat time. From 3-4pm I get another hour in before I tie myself to the cooker and make dinner for the rest of my hungry and menacing brood.



Anything that can be written between 5 and 7pm is pure luck. I like to get the laundry done when the children are feasting and then it’s bath and stories before bed for my two youngest.



Once the two little ones are in bed, I slip off into the office, coffee in tow and close the door.



Mr. Lynch makes an appearance usually around 8:30pm and he takes over all other duties – but between you and I, all the bloody hard work has been done, but I just let him think he is really helping ;)



So from around 8-11pm I get stuck into my work. Yes, I do like to check in on my emails and Social networks. I like hearing from my readers, or just chat with friends, BUT I always make sure I’ve accomplished a decent word count.



Then its wind down time from 11- midnight. I like to catch up on an episode of my favourites shows – Criminal Minds being my current trend, and then it’s bed at the stroke of midnight.



Sleep doesn’t always come easy, so I probably only get around 2-3hours a night, but I can live with that. Just as long as I have my coffee, pen and notepad, I will be fine! I’m doing what I love after all.

 


Shy and reserved Julieanne Lynch is an author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens. Julieanne lives in Northern Ireland, with her husband and five children, where she works on her Shadows World novels and other series full-time. Before becoming a writer, she considered a few different career paths, a rock star being one of them. She studied English Literature and Creative Writing at The Open University, and considered journalism as a career path. However, she decided writing was the way for her and is thankful for each day she lives her dream.

An avid reader, Julieanne has always had an encompassing fascination with folklore. When not writing, she enjoys crime series such as Criminal Minds, CSI, NCIS and Cold Case, and loves anything with Vampires, listening to metal, meeting new people, drinking lots of green tea, and sharing her dreams with her children. She is a self-professed goth wanna-be,and is happy when left to write into the early hours of the morning.

Julieanne's YA series, the Shadow World novels, is published by Vamptasy Publishing and thus far contains Within the Shadows & Escaping Shadows, the third installment, Fighting Shadows is being written. It follows the war between vampires and shadow creatures. Giselle Bergman, an 18-year old human girl, falls victim to a scheme by one of her closest childhood friends, and embarks on a journey that sees her become the center of a battle between good and evil.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment