Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Author Take Over: Felicia Starr, author of Sacred Hearts Coven Series & Breaking the Darkness Series




Hi Guys, welcome (back) to my second home! :-) I hope your day is wonderful.
As you know, Wednesdays are Author Take Over here at my blog, and today I am happy to introduce one of my favorite authors; Felicia Starr.
Make sure to drop by her different pages and give her some love!


How long have you been writing?

It depends on what you consider writing. I have been writing poetry and journaling for as long as I can remember. I still have the first book I wrote in elementary school. It was a tall tale about a character named Abe Washington. I have always talked about writing a book with one of my closest girl friends, probably since we were around thirteen. Life never really worked out that we ever found the time to make that a reality. Now I write almost every day, even if it is only a few lines.

Why did you choose to write in your genre?

I am not completely sure what my genre is. I think that it rides the lines of several genres. I love most things that are paranormal, fantasy, and scifi. I always have. When I was a child and home from school sick I loved to watch re-runs of I Dream of Jeanie and Bewitched. I was a big Star Trek fan, of course my favorite was because of my age was Star Trek the Next Generation. I will give most books and shows in the sci-fi/paranormal realm a chance. I do however draw the line at giant ice spiders.
The funny thing about the genres that I write in is that is that it leaves me with an expectation of the paranormal or supernatural element in everything I read. I sometimes forget that not everyone writes or thinks that way.
The one thing in common with all of my books is the romance element. I love reading and writing about the build up and tension between characters that are, could, or should be romantically involved. I love HEA’s but I can’t guarantee I will always write them, at lease not yet.


Do you have a special place to write?

I do tend go through waves of having to write in the same place. If I am on a roll I try to go back and work in the same spot. Sometimes it is at the dining room table, sometimes in my office, other times the best place to write is late at night in my bed. Most of Taken takes place in dark so writing in the dark worked well for me. I feel that late at night my thoughts are more lucid and I tend to write more and think less.


How did you come up the setting for Taken (Breaking the Darkness book #1)?

There are a few different locations in the book that take place in the Southwest. I spent my summers traveling the region as a young girl. My memories of many of these locations are forever burned in my mind. My experiences in that region had a huge impact on my life and I think that you will see that come through in this series and will probably be a factor in future projects.


What are some things your readers do not know about you?

*I make the best macaroni and cheese. One day I will make it and share the recipe even thought it changes from time to time.
*I am addicted to coffee, I wish I could quit but I am hooked.
*I love astrology; I am a Scorpio and find that most descriptions are spot on.

Do you have any music play list’s that you listen to when you write?

I did not listen to a specific play list while I wrote Taken. Sometimes I needed to write in the dark and be with the silence or what we think of as silence. I had to really heighten my hearing and tune in to what the darkness sounded like.

When I had to write or edit during the day, I would often plug in and listen to Pandora. This is a playlist of a hand full of songs that I either found myself listening to or that resonated with time and the story.




How many books are in the Breaking the Darkness series?

That is a question I am not prepared to answer yet. Right now the series is Book 1 -Taken, Novella 1.5 – Marked, Book 2- Betrayed (Release date October 29, 2014). I can guarantee at least one more full-length novel. Although I am teetering on a 2.5 novella or short, I have started writing it, but I might just incorporate it into book 3.
I really wont know how much more story there is until I have book 3 fully outlined and I am working on several other projects at the same time, so I have not calculated a potential release date for that yet.

Can you tell us about what else you are working on?

Maybe… Just kidding, sort of. I do have another series of stand alone stories called the Sacred Hearts Coven books. They are for a tiny bit more mature audience. They are steamy romances that are set in motion by a spell cast by the sisters of the Sacred Hearts Coven.
Dark and Stormy and Light and Sweet are both available on Amazon. Jack and Ginger will be out late fall 2014
I also have an Erotic Romance anthology coming out this winter, it is looking like a February release with some awesome authors.


Author Felicia Starr lives five miles from her favorite Jersey Shore destination with her amazingly supportive family.  She loves to spend time creating special memories with her husband and two young boys.

Everyone expected her first publication to be a cookbook, but her love for writing has surpassed her love for cooking.

Felicia graduated magna cum laude from Kean University with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a post baccalaureate in elementary education. She is a licensed real estate sales person, a certified yoga instructor, and most importantly, a stay-at-home mom.

Always thinking and dreaming in scenes…






Opening her eyes to an imposing prison of complete darkness, Kasha is accused of possessing powers and abilities she had no previous knowledge of until the moment she comes face to face with herself while meditating. Haunted by memories strung together by lies and deceit, she soon discovers that maybe her beloved grandmother kept a few secrets she hadn't been aware of. Secrets that could be her salvation... or her undoing.

As she struggles to control her newfound powers, only time will tell if they will be enough to help her decipher who has imprisoned her or what they want from her. She must search for the answers and the freedom she so desperately desires.

Could a handsome guy who vows to help her get away prove to be the man of her dreams... or perhaps her worst nightmare? Not knowing who to trust, she must find a way to escape before she pays the ultimate price and finds herself taken by the darkness.
Read my review HERE and buy the book on Amazon


A Breaking the Darkness Series Novella...

While Kasha gets ready to graduate from college, her grandmother, Magenta Alexander, prepares for her return. Mage wanted Kasha to grow up and have a normal life, even knowing there was a possibility that Kasha would be anything but normal. Mage has kept things from her granddaughter, secrets that she must be told.

Dangerous pacts are made, while magic and darkness lurk around every corner, and even those with the purest intentions must make tainted choices to protect the ones they love.

Deals are struck, secrets are revealed, sacrifices will be made...but will it be enough to ward off the darkness?

Warning: This book is intended for readers that have read Taken; there are spoilers in this book.

You can read my 5 star review here. Buy Marked HERE


The sisters of the Sacred Hearts Coven gather every month with one intention, to ignite a flame of passion into one lucky person’s love life.

Regina’s work is her driving force. She strives to be the top of her game, but there is a large thorn in her side—Reddick, her apparent nemesis. His confident and somewhat arrogant persona makes her blood boil, but as the saying goes: there is a thin line between love and hate.

Will a touch of magic have Regina opening her heart to the unknown? Or will she run from this storm only to be crushed by her greatest fear?

Buy the book on Amazon and you can find my review HERE






The sisters of the Sacred Hearts Coven are at it again.
This time sister Maiden Esmeralda asks her sisters to help her cast a spell to help friend and café patron Lilly fill her heart with something that lasts more than one date.
Lilly has spent the better part of a year going on one blind date after another. Esmeralda think she knows the perfect guy for her. The only problem is that she doesn’t want to set them up on another blind date. If only she could get them to meet in the coffee shop they both frequent on a daily basis.
When things don’t quite go right with Esmeralda’s spell, she doesn’t know what to do. Will some enchanted salted caramel syrup be enough to heat up Lilly’s love life, or will it lose steam? Her heart’s desires might only be a cup of coffee away.

Buy Light and Sweet on Amazon and read my review HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment